Wednesday, December 8, 2010

School vouchers move forward in Douglas County

The Douglas County School Board voted unanimously Tuesday night to go forward with a school voucher program.

The vote now moves the voucher issue onto the next step, with the Board’s recommendations being forwarded to the School superintendant. The Board members said the overall process could take several months.

The question is whether families or the county should decide on where tax payer dollars are spent on education, and whether that choice and the subsequent competition would improve the quality of education.

The voucher program being considered by Douglas County would give students who wish to attend a private school, about $4,900 or 75% of the tax payer per pupil funding. The school district would retain the remaining 25% or about $1,600.

If implemented, Douglas County would be the first school district in Colorado to offer a voucher program.

No comments:

Post a Comment